The Walking Bus
Each Walking Bus walks along a set route with at least one volunteer parent-driver picking up children at designated stops and walking them to school. The Walking Bus Stops are meeting points along the route where the children get on the bus. The process is reversed in the afternoon, led by a volunteer parent- drivers of people rather than a motorized bus! The waling bus is a group of people who are the bus and their feet are the wheels of the bus.
Benefits of The Walking Bus:
- Provides supervision for children whose parents cannot take them to school
- Encourages safe walking to school
- Ensures regular exercise for children & volunteer parents
- Greatly reduces traffic congestion around schools caused by cars dropping-off children
- Promotes closer relationships between children and responsible adults
- Creates a sense of community
- Promotes environmental awareness
- Allows parents to share the responsibility of walking their children to school with others
We'd like to welcome Julia Nati who has taken over as the Walking Bus Facilitator. With a history in marketing and communications Julia is looking forward to a new challenge. She is availabl
How To Join?
Joining The Walking Bus is easy. Routes are established along the streets most used by the parents and children at each school. You can either sign up to volunteer as a parent-driver or enrol your children to be part of the ‘bus’.
To join The Walking Bus you’ll need to first find out whether The Walking Bus is operating at your school. Check out the homepage on this website and follow the links to your school. If a bus is currently operating at your school, then either complete the online form by following the link below, or fill out the forms at the schools offices.
If your school is not currently running The Walking Bus, please contact us and we will look into establishing The Walking Bus at your school!